At UPU Industries we are committed to doing our bit for the Environment…
As an ISO-14001 accredited company UPU is committed to managing our resources efficiently and effectively, mindful of minimising waste.
We adopt a progressive approach when investing in our people and equipment – focusing on involvement and creativity at all levels of the company to come up with innovative ideas which help us to do business better.
Some of our recent improvement programmes include:
- Installation of 240 Solar Panels at our UK Headquarters saving 47 tonnes of CO2 and generating 79,000kWh of electricity, all of which we have been able to use on site.
- A three year programme to replace all Factory Compressors with “latest” technology.
- A new ‘Free Chilling System’ has been installed saving over 60,000kWh of electricity.
- New “Ultra-Modern” replacement main motor-drives to one of our Extrusion Systems, reducing noise levels on the shop floor and energy consumption.
- New state-of-the-art production machinery with lower energy absorption, noise levels and increased production capacity, demonstrating our commitment to long term competitiveness and sustainability.
- Increased focus on reducing waste and recycling more. We now recycle almost 95% of our waste from process waste, paper & cardboard, batteries, as well as glass, cans, plastics etc.
- A new movement sensor lighting system for the production floor. One employee’s comment on this high output low cost system is “The new lights take the ‘night’ out of night-shift”.
General Health and Safety improvements have been made across all areas of the business. These include equipment modifications and developing improved semi-automatic and manual handling.
Our people have benefited from improved employee relations and satisfaction from the integrated communication channels and increased employee involvement across all departments.
We are all seeing the benefits of our recent changes, so we intend to continue to work together and keep generating new ideas for continuous improvement.
If it’s good for the environment, it’s good for UPU and better for our customers worldwide!